Thursday, January 23, 2014

TGIFF: Blizzard, A Finished Quilt

Welcome one and all to TGIFF! Please share your finish for the week in the linky party below! I can't wait to see them :) I have an exciting finish to share today, too: Blizzard, a string quilt I pieced last winter and quilted this winter! This quilt is also one of my FAL Quarter 1 goals!

I designed the snowflake blocks and used some applique to make a wintery (ie, not Christmasy, as in, I-can-leave-it-on-my-couch-until-the-end-of-February) quilt. Thanks to Laurie Wisbrun's Brr! fabric and a healthy dose from my stash (ie my usual Pearl Bracelets and solids), it wasn't too difficult. Also, I considering naming this quilt "Flake" or "Flakey" but then it occurred to me how dandruffy that would sound. :P Ha, ha. Moving on.


Because it was only fitting, the husband and I ventured out into the fast-falling snow on Tuesday afternoon to take pictures of the quilt. IT WAS COLD. The cold and I don't mix (like, at all), but I was willing to do anything for a good quilt photo. Well, almost anything.

The "what were we thinking" face

When I designed the quilt, I wanted the snowflakes to actually look like snowflakes. I hesitated to sash them at all because the patterns and secondary patterns and tertiary (?) patterns were so darn cool. But, "half sash" I did, and I actually really love it. I guess that's all that matters in the end. Selfish sewing is for me to love! Plus, those patterns still exist, but the solids give the eye a rest.



I quilted this based on Barbara Persing's suggestion when she visited my guild: all-over swirls to signify wind. I also threw in some snowflakes to break up the monotony of quilting swirls on a large couch quilt. I quite like the snowflakes' randomness. See them above (especially clear in the large border)?



The husband was proud of this shot^^ :) Nice blur action!



For the 6 snowflake middles, I created a swirl using my FMQ foot, and alternated between pebbles and random squares for the white. Those polar bears just GET ME everytime.



This quilt also makes me want to watch the movie Frozen a zillion times. All the Nordic patterns... I can't.


Blizzard is backed in Anna Maria Horner flannel that was originally intended for some pajama pants. HA. Quilting flannel will get easier with my incoming Supreme Slider, so I hear, so flannel backing will definitely happen again (the husband hath requested). As you can see, I ran out of flannel, so I picked up some extra from the Intrepid Thread. I also left the AMH selvage in there, because you know I'm a quilty fangirl, and I don't use nearly enough selvages in my projects (though I hope to change that this year).


Finally, I bound it in a really light blue/white fabric. I love the small prints for binding! Kind of swirly, like the wind.

Thanks for reading about a quilt that's very special to me. I love seeing it and snuggling under it for a bit every day. :) If anyone is definitely interested in a tutorial, please let me know, and I will work on one!

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://tgiffriday.blogspot.com/



Show us the finishes!!
  • Please visit other links for maximum comment love/sharing.
  • Please link back to TGIFF in your blog post so your blog visitors can see all the other finishes this week. :) Sharing is caring.







Stay warm, everyone! Well, if you are in a heat wave... stay cool!


30 comments:

  1. Oh man it's bigger than I expected! Perfect for coziness on the couch! I love all the quilting on it, it has such a nice texture! I love those polar bears! I've only made one quilt with flannel backing, and hated how much more difficult it made the quilting...so haven't done it since. I think that was pre-slider, so I guess it's worth another go. Glad you're hosting today--it gave me the motivation to get my quilt finished (or close enough, haha)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely lovely! I love the fabric and the quilting is perfect. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you stay warm in that "Blizzard!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! Fun 'half-sash'. Overall - nice detailing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, Great quilt! Where can one purchase the "blizzard" pattern?? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, Jess! I love what you did with this line. Love the quilting -- complements the design beautifully! Why don't you send Laurie Wisbrun an email to show it to her? Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good. It looks even better in person people!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finish! Great name and a great photoshoot for the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect quilt for the cold weather! You did an amazing job on the quilting. Thanks for hosting the link up this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice finish and plenty of snow :-) Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool quilt! Ha, ha... Get it? Seriously though. Love the mix of fabrics. Gives it a real planned scrappy feel. And the quilting is incredible. Love those snowflakes - they were a perfect addition! Great pics! Congrats on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever to make it a winter quilt and not Christmas. I may have to add one on my list for this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for braving the elements to get these photos! So pretty! Just love how it turned out!
    The colors are nice and crisp, bright and cheerful, perfect for winter weather that is not always so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finish! I love how bright and cheerful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks wonderful and snuggly and you really need it with all that snow! Fantastic quilting, love the wind and snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like you, I don't like cold, so having a lovely warm quilt to wrap in is just the right answer! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been saving up my selvages in the last year or so, and Pinning great selvage ideas. Sometime I'll make an awesome selvage quilt (if I do say so myself) which will definitely stay with me. I cut them at about 2.5" so I'll have a reminder of the fabrics I've worked with, in addition to the great selvage stuff (I love the color dots on the selvages!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very beautiful quilt and colors, congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your block. You were really brave in that photo shot! The detail photos are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the circles you added. And the quilting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok, this is the third or fourth mention of a slider I've read in the past two weeks. Must go look one up! Great finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Flakey!! lol too cute!

    All the swirls are WONDERFUL!!!!

    OMGOODNESS...this cold weather has me done in! Not as cold as where ya'll are I bet,but 20's is as much as this preggo lady can take!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks lovely. I'm envious of the snow - it's been close to 100F here for over a week. I've had enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very different string quilt! I like it. Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A beautiful quilt, and well named!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on both your finishes :o) I still haven't been brave enough to cut into my Brr!

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation! I love comments and I'd be happy to reply to all who have an email address accessible. Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...